Madhuri Sopirala, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Madhuri Sopirala, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine. She serves as Director of Infection Preventon at Parkland Health & Hospital System.
Dr. Sopirala received her medical education at Sri Venkatesvara Medical College in Andhra Pradesh, India. She obtained internal medicine residency training at Mount Carmel Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio, followed by advanced training through a fellowship program in infectious diseases at The Ohio State University Medical Center, where she also earned a master's of public health degree in clinical investigation.
Board certified in internal medicine and in infectious diseases, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2017 as the Chief of Infection Prevention at the VA North Texas Healthcare System. Previously, she served for five years as the Associate Chief of the Department of Clinical Epidemiology/Infection Prevention and Control at the Ohio State University Medical Center, and for six years as the Chief of IPC at the University of Cincinnati Healthcare System, where she successfully led system-wide performance improvement in prevention of hospital-acquired infections (HAI), with particular expertise in central line associated blood stream infections. At both institutions, she implemented her signature program – Infection Control Link Nurse Program – which brought multiple disciplines together in infection prevention efforts for sustained improvements.
Much of her work in HAI prevention is documented in peer-reviewed publications. While at University of Cincinnati Healthcare System, she also served as the Chief of Antimicrobial Stewardship, implementing several innovative patient safety initiatives. As a result of her work in HAI reduction, she received an IMPACT award, granted to the most impactful physician in the health system from the medical directors at the University of Cincinnati. She was awarded a New Investigator award at the VAMC-North Texas for a novel study focused on the epidemiology of multidrug resistant Gram-negative colonization and infection. Her research interests focus on healthcare associated infections and multidrug resistant Gram-negative organisms.
Dr. Sopirala has mentored numerous fellows, residents and medical students throughout her career. Her work with the trainees has resulted in multiple peer reviewed publications. She is recognized as a leader in the field by national organizations and serves on the editorial boards for several reputed journals.
- Medical School
- Sri Venkateswara University (1999)
- Mount Carmel Medical Center (2005), Internal Medicine
- Ohio State University Hospital (2007), Infectious Diseases
- Graduate School
- The Ohio State University College of Public Health (2009)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Ohio State University College of Public Health (2009)
- Healthcare-Acquired Infections
- Multidrug-resistant Gram-negative Organisms
- Process Improvement
- Predisposition of COVID-19 patients to secondary infections: set in stone or subject to change?
- Sopirala MM, Curr Opin Infect Dis 2021 May
- Build upon basics: An intervention utilizing safety huddles to achieve near-zero incidence of catheter associated urinary tract infection at a department of Veterans Affairs long-term care facility.
- Fiveash JM, Smith ML, Moore AK, Jandarov R, Sopirala MM, Am J Infect Control 2021 Mar
- Out of Sight-Out of Mind: Impact of Cascade Reporting on Antimicrobial Usage.
- Liao S, Rhodes J, Jandarov R, DeVore Z, Sopirala MM, Open Forum Infect Dis 2020 Feb 7 2 ofaa002
- Impact of a change in surveillance definition on performance assessment of a catheter-associated urinary tract infection prevention program at a tertiary care medical center.
- Sopirala MM, Syed A, Jandarov R, Lewis M Am J Infect Control 2018 Mar
- Effect of automated ultraviolet C-emitting device on decontamination of hospital rooms with and without real-time observation of terminal room disinfection.
- Penno K, Jandarov RA, Sopirala MM Am J Infect Control 2017 Nov 45 11 1208-1213
- Does CDC's Ventilator Associated Event Definition Unintentionally Contradict its Antimicrobial Stewardship Initiative?
- Sopirala MM Clin. Infect. Dis. 2017 Jun
- Prevention of Catheter-related Bloodstream Infections. An Overview of Current Approaches in Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention
- Exline MC, Sopirala MM Infectious Disease Special Edition 2017 Spring
- Prevention of Catheter-related Bloodstream Infections: An Overview of Current Approaches in Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention
- Exline MC, Sopirala MM Infectious Disease Special Edition 2015 Fall
- Infection control link nurse program: an interdisciplinary approach in targeting health care-acquired infection.
- Sopirala MM, Yahle-Dunbar L, Smyer J, Wellington L, Dickman J, Zikri N, Martin J, Kulich P, Taylor D, Mekhjian H, Nash M, Mansfield J, Pancholi P, Howard M, Chase L, Brown S, Kipp K, Lefeld K, Myers A, Pan X, Mangino JE Am J Infect Control 2014 Apr 42 4 353-9
- Beyond the bundle--journey of a tertiary care medical intensive care unit to zero central line-associated bloodstream infections.
- Exline MC, Ali NA, Zikri N, Mangino JE, Torrence K, Vermillion B, St Clair J, Lustberg ME, Pancholi P, Sopirala MM Crit Care 2013 Mar 17 2 R41
Lung Abscesses and Pleural Abscesses. In Infectious Diseases Third Edition
Sopirala MM, Mangino, JE (2009). United Kingdom, Elsevier
Tuberculosis. In Treatment Strategies for Common Medical Problems Second Edition
Sopirala MM, Mangino, JE. (2009). United Kingdom, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
Infectious Diseases Society of America (2016)
- IMPACT award
University of Cincinnati Medical Center (2015)
American College of Physicians (2012)
- Honorable Mention, SHEA-APIC Partnership in Prevention Award
Fifth Decennial International Conference on Healthcare-Associated Infections (2010)
- American College of Physicians
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- Society of Healthcare Epidemiology Long Term Care Interest Group