William A. Scott, M.D. M.S. is Professor of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and Director of Service Line Development at Children's Medical Center, Dallas. He is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and Indiana University School of Medicine. His post graduate training included an internship, residency, and chief residency in pediatrics at Indiana University/James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children and a pediatric cardiology fellowship at the University of Michigan/C.S. Mott Children's Hospital. He also has a Master’s Degree from the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Cardiology and the Heart Rhythm Society.
Dr. Scott's specific area of expertise is cardiac electrophysiology (arrhythmias) and he has a special interest in prevention of sudden cardiac death. He established a comprehensive program for the management of children with arrhythmias upon his arrival in 1990 and directed that program up to 2015.
Dr. Scott’s research interests are directed at advancing non-invasive technology to diagnose and manage children with congenital and acquired heart disease. He has authored many peer reviewed publications and book chapters. He helped oversee a collaborative grant from the State of Texas to evaluate the feasibility of screening school age children for unrecognized heart disease.
- Medical School
- Indiana University School of Medicine (1982)
- James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children (1983), Pediatrics
- James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children (1984), Pediatrics
- Chief Resident
- James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children (1985), Pediatrics
- C.S. Mott Children's Hospital - Pediatric Genetics (1987), Pediatric Cardiology
- Research Fellowship
- C.S. Mott Children's Hospital - Pediatric Genetics (1988), Pediatric Cardiology
- Cardiac involvement in neuromuscular disease
- Heart rate variability
- Noninvasive monitoring
- Role of molecular analysis after autopsy negative sudden death in the young.
- Scott WA Curr Pediatr Rev 2013 9 2 175-8
- Sensitivity and specificity of an automated external defibrillator algorithm designed for pediatric patients.
- Atkins DL, Scott WA, Blaufox AD, Law IH, Dick M, Geheb F, Sobh J, Brewer JE Resuscitation 2008 Feb 76 2 168-74
- Intravenous amiodarone for incessant tachyarrhythmias in children: a randomized, double-blind, antiarrhythmic drug trial.
- Saul JP, Scott WA, Brown S, Marantz P, Acevedo V, Etheridge SP, Perry JC, Triedman JK, Burriss SW, Cargo P, Graepel J, Koskelo EK, Wang R Circulation 2005 Nov 112 22 3470-7
- Myocardial cell damage in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Ramaciotti C, Iannaccone ST, Scott WA Pediatr Cardiol 2003 Sep-Oct 24 5 503-6
- Effect of center volume on outcome of ventricular septal defect closure and arterial switch operation.
- Scott WA, Fixler DE Am. J. Cardiol. 2001 Dec 88 11 1259-63
- Procedural sedation and analgesia in children.
- Scott WA N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 Jul 371 1 90
- Incidence of acute kidney injury following cardiac catheterization prior to cardiopulmonary bypass in children.
- Huggins N, Nugent A, Modem V, Rodriguez JS, Forbess J, Scott W, Dimas VV Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2014 Jan
- Temporary Atrial Pacing for Cardiac Output After Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- Barker GM, Affolter J, Saenz J, Cox CS, Forbess JM, Scott WA, Zeltser I Pediatr Cardiol 2013 Mar
- Lessons learned from preparticipation cardiovascular screening in a state funded program.
- Zeltser I, Cannon B, Silvana L, Fenrich A, George J, Schleifer J, Garcia M, Barnes A, Rivenes S, Patt H, Rodgers G, Scott W Am. J. Cardiol. 2012 Sep 110 6 902-8
- Part 10: Pediatric basic and advanced life support: 2010 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science With Treatment Recommendations.
- Kleinman ME, de Caen AR, Chameides L, Atkins DL, Berg RA, Berg MD, Bhanji F, Biarent D, Bingham R, Coovadia AH, Hazinski MF, Hickey RW, Nadkarni VM, Reis AG, Rodriguez-Nunez A, Tibballs J, Zaritsky AL, Zideman D Circulation 2010 Oct 122 16 Suppl 2 S466-515
Clinical Electrophysiology of the Cardiac Conduction System. In Dick M, ed. Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology in the Young.
Dick M, Fischbach PS, Law IH, Scott WA. (2006). Springer; 33-47.
Intensive Care Management, Including Cardiorespiratory Care. In Darras BT, Jones Jr. HR, Ryan MM, De Vivo DC, eds. Neuromuscular Disorders of Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence: A Clinician's Approach.
Scott WA, Iannaccone ST. (2014). Elsevier; 904-911
Sick Sinus Syndrome; First- and Second-Degree Atrioventricular Block; Syncope. In Dick M, ed. Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology in the Young. 2nd ed.
Scott WA; Strieper M, Campbell RM. (2015). Springer.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2010-2016) (2018-2021)
- Best Doctors
- America's Top Pediatricians
Consumer Research Council (2010-2018)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2008-2021)
- America's Top Cardiologists
Consumer Research Council (2006-2021)
- Subspecialty Award in Health Care Research
- Vernon and Virginia Furrow Award for Innovation in Medical Education
- Dr. Tom Dooley Society (2007-2019)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2005-2019)
- Texas Pediatric Society (1998-2019)
- Dallas County Pediatric Society (1995-2019)
- Heart Rhythm Society, Fellow (1995-2019)
- American College of Cardiology, Fellow (1990-2019)
- Member, American Heart Association - Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young (1990-2019)
- Pediatric and Congenital Electrophysiology Society (1990-2019)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (1989-2019)