Dr. Hong Zhu joined the Department of Clinical Sciences (Now Population and Data Sciences) and Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center in September, 2013. She obtained her PhD degree in Biostatistics from The Johns Hopkins University in 2010. Dr. Zhu was an Assistant Professor in the Division of Biostatistics at The Ohio State University College of Public Health from 2010 to 2013.
Dr. Zhu’s methodological research interests include design and analysis of explanatory and pragmatic clinical trials, statistical methods for complex survival data (biased sampling, semi-competing risks, multivariate survival data), and causal inference. Her work is inspired by and applied to biomedical and clinical studies. Dr. Zhu’s collaborative research interests include basic, clinical, translational, and population sciences studies in areas including cancer, chronic and infectious diseases.
Dr. Zhu's research work has been supported by extramural and intramural funding. She received a PCORI Methodology Award to improve methods for design and analysis of comparative effectiveness research (CER) with complex observational healthcare data in 2022, the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center Pilot Award to tackle pragmatic design issues in cluster randomized trials in 2018, and the Center for Translational Medicine Pilot Award to develop novel analytical methods for CER in 2016. She has served as Biostatistics and Data Management Core Co-Director for an NIH P20 SPORE Planning Award on cancer health disparities and Co-I on multiple large federally or state funded grants.
- Univ of Sci and Tech of China (2005), Statistics
- University of Science Technolo (2005), Statistics
- Graduate School
- Johns Hopkins University (2010), Biostatistics
- Analysis of Complex Survival Data
- Causal Inference
- Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials
- Health Outcomes Research
- Observational Studies using Large Healthcare Databases
- Comparative effectiveness of primary radiotherapy versus surgery in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma in elderly patients: a SEER-Medicare analysis
- Sher D, Yan J, Pham N, Khan S, Sumer B and Zhu H Oral Oncology 2019 88: 18-26
- Sample size considerations for stratified cluster randomization design with binary outcomes and varying cluster size
- Xu X, Zhu H* and Ahn C Statistics in Medicine 2019 DOI: 10.1002/sim.8175 *Corresponding author
- Comparison of overall survival between preoperative chemotherapy and chemoradiotherapy for resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Mokdad A, Minter R, Yopp A, Porembka M, Wang S, Zhu H, Augustine M, Mansour J, Choti M and Polanco P Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network 2018 16(12): 1468-1475
- Association of Adjuvant Chemotherapy With Overall Survival in Patients With Rectal Cancer and Pathologic Complete Response Following Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy and Resection
- Polanco P, Mokdad A, Zhu H, Choti M and Huerta S JAMA Oncology 2018 doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.0231 4(7): 938-943 Accepted
- TNF drives an adaptive response that mediates resistance to EGFR inhibition in lung cancer
- Gong K, Guo G, Gerber D, Gao B, Peyton M, Huang C, Minna J, Hatanpaa K, Kernstine K, Cai L, Xie Y, Zhu H, Fattah F, Zhang S, Takahashi M, Mukherjee B, Burma S, Dowell J, Dao K, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Olivas V, Bivona T, Zhao D and Habib A Journal of Clinical Investigation 2018 128(6): 2500-2518. doi.org/10.1172/JCI96148
- Statistical justification of expansion cohorts in phase I cancer trials
- Mokdad A, Xie X, Zhu H, Gerber D and Heitjan D Cancer 2018 124: 3339-3345. Accepted
- Optimizing perforator selection: a multivariable analysis of predictors for fat necrosis and abdominal morbidity in DIEP flap breast reconstruction
- Hembd A, Zhu H, Teotia S and Haddock N Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2018 142(3):583-592. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000004631 In Press
- Epidemiology and survival of esophageal cancer patients in an American cohort.
- Nassri A, Zhu H, Muftah M and Ramzan Z Cureus 2018 10(4) e2507. doi:10.7759/cureus.2507.
- LILRB4 signaling in leukemia cells mediates T cell suppression and tumor infiltration
- Deng M, Gui X, Kim J,...,Zhu H,...,Zheng J, Zhang N and Zhang C Nature 2018 Accepted 562: 605-609
- Effects of program scale-up on time to resolution for patients with abnormal screening mammography results
- Lee S, Higashi R, Sanders J, Zhu H, Inrig S, Mejias C, Argenbright K and Tiro J Cancer Causes & Control 2018 doi: doi.org/10.1007/s10552-018-1074-4.
Honors & Awards
- Statistics in Epidemiology Society for Epidemiologic Research (SER) Travel Award
The American Statistical Association (2017)
- Cancer Biostatistics Workshop Travel Award
American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) (2015)
- Statistics in Epidemiology Young Investigator Award
The American Statistical Association (2012)
- ENAR Distinguished Student Paper Award
International Biometric Society (2010)
- Statistics in Epidemiology Young Investigator Award
The American Statistical Association (2010)
- Jian-Ping Hsu Memorial Scholarship
International Chinese Statistical Association (2009)
- Statistics in Epidemiology Student Paper Award
The American Statistical Association (2009)
- Guo Moruo Presidential Award
Highest Honor, University of Science and Technology of China (2004)
- Outstanding Student Scholarship
First Prize, University of Science and Technology of China (2001-2005)